Thursday, September 5, 2013

Preparing to 'Unprepare' & Absorbing Shock

hi friends.

So, I have been in Korea for almost ten days today. Happy survival anniversary to me! I write this while drinking a mug of double espresso because this week was [definitely] my breaking point in my absorption of the shocking culture that belongs to Korea.

I've traveled abroad before and I've been to more culture-shocking countries than Korea, so I am a little unsure as to what it was today that made me go into the supply closet, cry a teensy bit [I had a meeting at 5:30] and quickly wipe my eyes to hide any sort of redness that would demonstrate to my Korean teachers that I am weak.


Let me just tell you... I have developed a philosophy: "Always prepare to un-prepare."


Oxymoron right? How can we prepare to un-prepare? Well, one must simply go with the flow, adapt, be flexible, become easy-going, etc. Lesson plans have no use here in Korea. Nor are behavior charts, seating charts, name tags, rosters, birthday calendars, anything and everything you can creatively plan for your classroom.... go ahead and simply un-prepare.

Things change at the blink of an eye. Schedules are swapped non-stop, teachers change positions, parents hold meetings with the Principal and decide at the last minute they want YOU as their child's teacher, so then the Principal must create a schedule so that you can be available to ALL of the age group, and not just half [nice to know that I am in high demand here].

Principals can take your schedules that were fairly balanced with a healthy variety of classes ranging in subjects to making you the head teacher of just ONE subject that has a horrible, uninteresting and completely un-creative curriculum. Not to mention, the Principal and other teachers decide to take advantage of your background in special education and decide they will give you ALL of the lower performing students and expect you to work miracles in a week [kind of hard to do when the parents refuse to admit their child may need extra help in certain areas--for further reference on achievement within the Asian culture, please read The Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, Amy Chua. (Excellent read!)

Yeah, I've become that teacher. The teacher who goes into the supply closet to cry because I simply can't handle another Korean teacher stealing things off my desk, changing my schedules, telling me I am teaching wrong, and that I need to give up two or three of my classes so they can teach.

I am flexible. Hell, it was one of my top 5 strengths in the Strength's Finder 2.0 book I had to complete for an AmeriCorp program once upon a time. So, I am not sure why my emotional state has become so erratic and near the edge of a break-down.

However, it is hard to observe a variety of classes of what you think you will be teaching the following week and then have the schedule pulled from underneath you [5 times], to shift from classroom to classroom while following an overwhelming curriculum that has been written by a Korean teacher, to be expected to create lesson plans off said curriculum, and not to mention prepare yourself for 8-9 classes for the entire day.

I shouldn't be complaining. I should be enjoying this experience, after all, it is adventure [and I needed a change of scenery].

Yet, I feel as though my gifts as a teacher are being wasted in the land of ESL. I feel disconnected from my students in so many ways, not to mention there is a HUGE language barrier. I am finding it harder each day to bring a smiling face to work and be patient during our hundredth meeting of the week where we receive our 10th schedule for the day. I am finding it harder to pay attention to my superiors when I know secretly inside they are just going to change things on me. For instance, during a meeting today (it's been our 5th since Monday), the Director of Foreign Teachers told me to pay attention to the Korean presentation as it related to my library class and I couldn't hold back my remark, "Yeah, IF I even have a library class...."

Because I know, I won't have a library class come next week.

In other news outside of my school drama: the Korean culture is still shocking.

1. I'm adjusting to spicy foods, rice, and meat at every meal [i do like kimchi though :)]--OH, and using chopsticks.... I am horrible and my students laugh at every lunch period.
2. I am trying to remember to take my shoes off when I get to school, my apartment, or even others' apartments.
3. I am trying to not rely on McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC, or Dominoes while living in a city with wonderful [yet odd] foods around me.
4. I am adjusting to living in a cubicle with an electric stovetop that takes literally 20 minutes to cook a fried egg--and that's on the highest setting.
5. I am trying to close my eyes while I shower because my bathroom is literally covered in mirrors, otherwise I will be developing a complex sooner or later... shouldn't have had that last rice cake!
6. I am converting KRW (won) to USD like a pro in my head.
7. I am slowly adjusting myself to the overwhelming scents and sounds of Korea:
     A) Koreans LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to play music anywhere and everywhere-- Seriously, there was
     an Oma (grandma) walking with a mini-boombox in her fanny pack in the park--I wish I was
     kidding.
     B) Koreans SMOKE like crazy. If I sit outside at a coffee shop, chances are I am going home
     smelling like I smoked a pack of cigarettes.
8. I walk everywhere and I LOVE it. I will be getting a bike soon though because I hate having to predict at which speed or direction Koreans will make while walking on the sidewalk. Seriously, it's become a game at guessing who will go left or who will go right. Many times, I lose.
9. I live 3 blocks from a GORGEOUS lake/park. It's like living in Uptown again with Lake Calhoun. Except Lake Park has a beautiful flower festival, sculptures, much more walking paths, and provides for more interesting people watching opportunities--such as Koreans exercising... by far my favorite!
10. I am adjusting to communicating, smiling/nodding at restaurants, my horrible Korean pronunciation, and learning the Korean alphabet! [I did sign up for Korean classes... so look out!]

If this post is at all overwhelming, it's because my life has been overwhelming these last ten days. I have been enjoying my days since I've landed, but as I said, this week was my breaking point. From today on out, I need to remember why I am here. It's not for my own sake, but to share my wealth of knowledge in the English language; to help my students improve their skills, to teach them new skills, to absorb the culture [no matter how shocking it may be some days], and to live a life filled with
a-d-v-e-n-t-u-r-e.

"Those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything..."
-George Bernard Shaw

Here's a quick photo montage of life in Korea so far.... enjoy!
There are many beautiful and interesting sculptures throughout Lake Park.


This has become MY personal sanctuary. 
I could stare at this all day and be happy.





                                         
                         Mopeds are definitely a trendy way of traveling...
not to mention efficient delivery :)


Best part of my neighborhood: waking up at 7am and 
wandering the streets at my discretion.


 These are scattered all throughout the shopping mall... 
 just a unique way of providing benches!


                                                                     I could seriously get used to Asian horticulture and flowers. 
             So gorgeous and unique!


So peaceful and serene at Lake Park.
    My favorite place in Lake Park. If you go to the    
   top, you get incredible views of the lake and the  
 city.
Skylines and nature are probably my favorite compositions combined ever.
 The city tucked beyond the serenity. Ilsan love.


The lake is peaceful and still; a place to reflect and dream.
Time is a tree(this life one leaf).
but love is the sky and i am for you.
just so long and long enough.
e.e. cummings

Lastly.... THIS is by far, my favorite photo of my time here in Korea. 
This photo speaks to my heart and reminds me exactly why I am here. 
To love, to have joy, and to share laughter.







No comments:

Post a Comment