Sunday, September 14, 2014

Bali: Day 6

I finally made it to Bali's infamous Gunung Batur. And boy, was she a beauty in all her volcanic glory. 

However, words cannot tell you the fear that rattled my heart as I had to (once again) climb the ever-winding mountain roads with my Honda Scoopy. I have never been so emotionally/mentally wrecked before in my life. Who knew a solo crash on your motorbike could have such an effect on the mind? Normally I have the resilience of a bear, but every little bump, hole, rock, and uneven patch of road seemed to blatantly jump out at me.

I frustrated every driver behind me [and myself]. 

You see, I hate being perceived as weak. I've been raised to be a strong woman with fierce independence and a fiery determination that would make Mike Tyson look like a flower. I'm that girl. The girl who lets no one in; in fear that I will get hurt. 

You can imagine my frustration when I suddenly had to rely on the dependence of others to help nurse me back to health. 

My host parents in Kintamani were nothing but wonderful. Having grown children of their own, they understood and knew how to care for me. It nearly damn broke my heart because here I was: a stranger, thousands of miles away from home, but it didn't matter to them. To them, I was their own, not a stranger, and they didn't mind caring for me. To them, it brought joy because they missed caring for someone.  Heart swell. 

Hospitality is a lost, beautiful art. 

My days in Kintamani brought beautiful adventure [as much as my ankle would allow]. Hiked some peaks, saw a wicked sunrise, and reflected greatly in my sanctuary among the mountains and trees.




I rested....a lot. Thankfully, I had this gem: Between A Rock and A Hard Place, or as you know by film, 127 Hours by Aron Ralston. Talk about a hard read...if you ever think you're in despair or suffering, think to yourself about being stranded for 120 hours in the desert and faced with the reality of cutting your limb off. 

Yeah, it put me into check.

Next stop: Ubud! The land of spiritual awakening. 

Homestay: Hotel Miranda- off the main road through Kintamani. 
Contact: Made Sentra 
Price: 100,000Rp
Tip: Ask Made to guide you to Gunung Batur--he has a map, and can give you the best routes to climb. If you are traveling alone, he will even offer to go with you. Pack a sweater, it's cold!!

Oh, and be prepared to buy some art from his friend, Peter. The guy is an excellent salesman [and talented artist].




No comments:

Post a Comment