Lately, I've been pushing myself to stop being so lazy.
Unemployment hit this girl hard; eating healthy, exercising, and reducing stress all became non-existent. I became unmotivated and stopped caring about the world because I was tired of feeling like I'm constantly in pursuit of something bigger, better, and more adventurous.
There is a difference in battling unemployment when your life path wanders aimlessly versus distinctly already knowing your life purpose and calling. If you know you were absolutely created to be an architect, engineer, nurse, doctor, fill-in-the-blank career choice, you rest a bit more easily when your job ends because you know the exact field to begin your anticipated job search. While you still fluidly move through the emotions of panic, stress, and uneasiness as to how you will budget and afford this moment of uncertainty, there is a teensy-weensy morsel of relief still waiting in the background.
This morsel of relief was nowhere to be found in my search for employment because I was grasping onto my continuous doubts of 'what shall I be when I grow up?'
People have often made remarks as to how they envy my "adventurous life," and how they wished they could just drop their adult responsibilities and travel the world. [You can do this at any time in your life; it's just a sacrifice]. Funny thing is, I envy those very people who make the conscious decision to be a "grown-up." I use this term very loosely because when do we ever really grow up?
However you choose to view the term "grown-up," there are responsibilities and adult milestones I wish I could just settle down and accomplish already: pick a job, be financially stable [again, loosely interpreted], own a car [I love public transport/biking but also love the grocery store], own/build my own house, get married, and have a baby [my brother keeps reminding me...].
To those of you who have proudly accomplished these, I applaud you wholeheartedly.
There is beauty in making an effort, working hard, and/or discipline. As I have been slowly making changes in my life, I am realizing fully how awesome it is to cook my own food, to push myself to visit the gym daily [even if just for a Yoga class], and to be more aware of my surroundings [enjoying the scenery on the train vs staring at my iPhone]. I feel more energetic and wholesome when I force myself to make healthy, nutritious meals for the day vs. grabbing Jimmy John's or a slice of pizza [I still love you]. There's a satisfying feeling when you stand back from what you created in the kitchen.
People can mock me all they want when I post foodgrams of my meals. I feel proud for my sense of hard work and effort. I want to inspire others that eating healthy and taking care of yourself is a beautiful process that does require hard work and effort but the results pay off. It's certainly not because I'm bored, vain, or self-absorbed. Rather, it's a creative effort that I'm engaging in to share and inspire. I want you to feel good about yourself and be inspired by the unlimited food options out there. Healthy is a lifestyle, not some quick fix, pill, or powder that will magically erase our bad choices.
We have become a nation of quick fixes and pure laziness. We will try countless fads, diets, pills and powders, what-have-you to replace hard work, effort, and good ol' fashioned discipline. My grandpa always warned me about shortcuts and laziness. If I wanted something, I had to work hard to get it. A man of principle and strong work ethic; he was a part of a lumber yard for many years. He came from a generation where they built things with their own hands, got down on their hands and knees to clean, and worked until the late evening to bring home the paycheck. I admire him and the effort he put in to feed my dad and his 5 rowdy siblings, put a humble roof over their heads, and clothes on their backs. This hard work mentality and ethic needs to resurface in our society. I'm forever grateful for the lessons my grandparents and parents passed onto me. It has taught me to be more mindful in my life and to realize the beauty in a hard day's work.
Sure, it took me an hour and some minutes in order to prepare my lunch today. But, I had fun and the results were amazing and delicious. Definitely a better choice for my body than some equally tasting Philly-cheese steak sammie from a food truck across the street from my office [damn you]. Do I still cheat and take short-cuts? Of course, I'm human and I do appreciate the art of indulgence from time to time. But, if I discipline myself to make better choices 90% of the time, then that 10% feels more like a reward than guilt.
Baked Tofu
-Wrap a block of extra-firm tofu in flour-sack towel, place between two plates and put a stack of cookbooks on top.
-Prepare marinade:
Next day:
-Bake tofu at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, flip and brush marinade on tofu then bake for 10 mins
-Flip tofu again after 10 mins, brush marinade on tofu and then bake for 5 mins
-Burnt edges are okay :)
Baked Nectarines
-Cut 4 nectarines of choice in half (I use a spoon to help pry the skin from the pit)
-Drizzle honey on top and season with choice of spices (Cinnamon, sugar, poppy seeds, vanilla, etc)
-Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes
-Garnish and enjoy :)
Tomato & Cucumber Salad
-Dice 1 cucumber into 1/4 pieces
-Slice grape tomatoes in half
-Combine cucumber and tomatoes together with 1 tbs olive oil
-Season with fresh basil, salt, pepper
-Top with feta crumbles
This morsel of relief was nowhere to be found in my search for employment because I was grasping onto my continuous doubts of 'what shall I be when I grow up?'
People have often made remarks as to how they envy my "adventurous life," and how they wished they could just drop their adult responsibilities and travel the world. [You can do this at any time in your life; it's just a sacrifice]. Funny thing is, I envy those very people who make the conscious decision to be a "grown-up." I use this term very loosely because when do we ever really grow up?
However you choose to view the term "grown-up," there are responsibilities and adult milestones I wish I could just settle down and accomplish already: pick a job, be financially stable [again, loosely interpreted], own a car [I love public transport/biking but also love the grocery store], own/build my own house, get married, and have a baby [my brother keeps reminding me...].
To those of you who have proudly accomplished these, I applaud you wholeheartedly.
There is beauty in making an effort, working hard, and/or discipline. As I have been slowly making changes in my life, I am realizing fully how awesome it is to cook my own food, to push myself to visit the gym daily [even if just for a Yoga class], and to be more aware of my surroundings [enjoying the scenery on the train vs staring at my iPhone]. I feel more energetic and wholesome when I force myself to make healthy, nutritious meals for the day vs. grabbing Jimmy John's or a slice of pizza [I still love you]. There's a satisfying feeling when you stand back from what you created in the kitchen.
People can mock me all they want when I post foodgrams of my meals. I feel proud for my sense of hard work and effort. I want to inspire others that eating healthy and taking care of yourself is a beautiful process that does require hard work and effort but the results pay off. It's certainly not because I'm bored, vain, or self-absorbed. Rather, it's a creative effort that I'm engaging in to share and inspire. I want you to feel good about yourself and be inspired by the unlimited food options out there. Healthy is a lifestyle, not some quick fix, pill, or powder that will magically erase our bad choices.
We have become a nation of quick fixes and pure laziness. We will try countless fads, diets, pills and powders, what-have-you to replace hard work, effort, and good ol' fashioned discipline. My grandpa always warned me about shortcuts and laziness. If I wanted something, I had to work hard to get it. A man of principle and strong work ethic; he was a part of a lumber yard for many years. He came from a generation where they built things with their own hands, got down on their hands and knees to clean, and worked until the late evening to bring home the paycheck. I admire him and the effort he put in to feed my dad and his 5 rowdy siblings, put a humble roof over their heads, and clothes on their backs. This hard work mentality and ethic needs to resurface in our society. I'm forever grateful for the lessons my grandparents and parents passed onto me. It has taught me to be more mindful in my life and to realize the beauty in a hard day's work.
Sure, it took me an hour and some minutes in order to prepare my lunch today. But, I had fun and the results were amazing and delicious. Definitely a better choice for my body than some equally tasting Philly-cheese steak sammie from a food truck across the street from my office [damn you]. Do I still cheat and take short-cuts? Of course, I'm human and I do appreciate the art of indulgence from time to time. But, if I discipline myself to make better choices 90% of the time, then that 10% feels more like a reward than guilt.
Today's reward: Baked Tofu | Baked Nectarines | Tomato & Cucumber Salad
Baked Tofu-Wrap a block of extra-firm tofu in flour-sack towel, place between two plates and put a stack of cookbooks on top.
-Prepare marinade:
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup citrus juice (I did a lemon/orange combo)
- 2-3 packets of duck sauce (Thanks Chinese restaurant)
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp grated ginger
Next day:
-Bake tofu at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, flip and brush marinade on tofu then bake for 10 mins
-Flip tofu again after 10 mins, brush marinade on tofu and then bake for 5 mins
-Burnt edges are okay :)
Baked Nectarines
-Cut 4 nectarines of choice in half (I use a spoon to help pry the skin from the pit)
-Drizzle honey on top and season with choice of spices (Cinnamon, sugar, poppy seeds, vanilla, etc)
-Bake at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes
-Garnish and enjoy :)
Tomato & Cucumber Salad
-Dice 1 cucumber into 1/4 pieces
-Slice grape tomatoes in half
-Combine cucumber and tomatoes together with 1 tbs olive oil
-Season with fresh basil, salt, pepper
-Top with feta crumbles
No comments:
Post a Comment